Who we are:
Hybrid is a high growth, successful and independent media company with niche internet brands in Asia and emerging markets.
We are a fun, dynamic business with more than 60 staff members in three offices worldwide – and we are looking to grow our numbers quickly.
Last year, our Kuala Lumpur editorial hub marked major milestones; from expanding our digital audience to hit six million monthly uniques, to making waves in the international arena by snagging a journalism scholarship for one of our writers, our ambitious team showed true mettle.
In 2016 our editorial team doubled in size. We launched TechWireAsia.com in July 2016 and it is now one of the fastest growing tech news platforms in Asia reaching over 1.5 million unique visitors a month.
The role: Editor
A mainstay of an established editorial team, we are looking for a true digital journalist who will be responsible for commissioning, writing, editing and steering in-depth features and analysis, creating a go-to, referenced source in the tech landscape of Asia and beyond.
You will be used to data-driven journalism to tell untold stories and find new angles. You will be able to conceptualise, publish, distribute over social media and measure the success of your team’s content.
- Commissioning and creating content on trending regional enterprise technology news stories
- Utilising your own knowledge of sources that identify trends (e.g. NewsWhip, Twitter etc.) to help choose news stories before they have broken into the ‘mainstream’
- Uphold house style throughout all output
- Fully appreciate the role of branded content commercially as well as editorially
- Providing support & guidance to a small team as well as maintaining the highest editorial standards
- Create compelling content that increases readership
- Undertake ad-hoc editing of freelance copy or material
- Building on your contact base within tech industry (e.g. innovators/entrepreneurs/business managers/change-makers) to break news stories
- Ability to produce and oversee production of shareable news content
- Ensure grammatical accuracy and guard editorial standards
To be successful at this job what do I need?
- Experience as an overseeing editor, or be ready to step up to be one
- Ability to manage a small team, and communicate effectively across time zones
- Excellent English skills and experience of writing technical media
- Understanding of the role of commercial partners in modern journalism and an ability to maximize this interest
- Active social media presence and the ability & willingness to use it to build readership
- Strong work ethic, with an excellent track record of delivering a coherent editorial policy
- Enterprising and ambitious for yourself and for your team
- Positive attitude and upbeat personality
At Hybrid, you’ll get to be a part of a young, talented and dynamic team of critical thinkers always ready to challenge the status quo and push creative boundaries.
We believe strongly in teamwork and camaraderie, so any member of Hybrid will benefit from a dynamic office culture, outside-office social meet-ups and annual team-building activities.
Our fast-paced and constantly evolving work environment means you’ll be building your confidence and expanding your skill set quickly and efficiently, immediately making you an invaluable asset in your field everywhere you go.
Direct applications are welcome to our own Recruitment Manager – Corey Archard – by email. Please include links to your relevant social media accounts. For an informal chat about the position, please call.
Direct Phone: +44 117 244 3183 (UK office hours)