Hybrid is launching several brand-new internships for our Kuala Lumpur office. You’ll work with a fast-paced international team and develop your established digital journalism skills.
Hybrid is a high-growth, successful and independent media company with niche internetbrands in Asia and emerging markets.
We are a fun, dynamic business with more than 60 staff members in three offices worldwide – and weare looking to grow our numbers.
Our Kuala Lumpur editorial hub has been expanding our digital audience, hitting eight million monthly web uniques, and making waves internationally by snagging a renowned journalism scholarship for one of our writers (the Jefferson Fellowship). Our ambitious team’s journalistic pedigree is going from strength to strength in this changing industry, writing and creating content for our youthful, digitally engaged audience.
Your editorial internship will involve working on content which covers regional Asian news & politics, tech, travel, higher education, branded items and PR. You can expect to learn how a busy newsroom operates, enabling you to develop and prove your skills: from pitching ideas, coming up with compelling & unique story-telling ideas, working to deadlines and creating copy, media and social content.
As part of a twelve month internship, Hybrid will invest in your longer-term development
by arranging your transfer to our Kuala Lumpur office. We’ll provide full financial, pastoral and
professional support for you during this process.
• Contribute amazing ideas for original content, and produce work with high integrity and optimal
• Work with both digital and editorial teams to further commercial opportunities with branded content
• Play a full role in growing and engaging with our online audience via unique storytelling methods and use of multimedia tools
• Be a prolific social media presence; use platforms to promote & grow both yours and the company’s reputation
• Maintain the highest level of personal and editorial integrity at all times
• Be a positive force in the office with a can-do, commercially-astute attitude
To be a successful intern, what do I need?
• Degree level qualification (ideally in Journalism, Creative Writing, English or similar)
• High level of emotional intelligence and the ability to shift perspective
• Excellent English and experience of writing and/or content creation professionally
• Possess the strength of character to relish the prospect of life and work abroad
• Ability to create fresh, engaging and share-able content for our young, upwardly-mobile audience
• To have recognised the importance of social media and have embraced digital platforms to further
your nascent career
• A strong work ethic and the ability to deliver high-quality material to a tight editorial schedule
• Be enterprising, ambitious and willing to learn
• Have a positive and upbeat personality and be great advocate of the values of Hybrid
To apply email our Recruitment Manager, Corey Archard, with the following:
• An explanation of why you’d be suitable for an internship – half a side of A4 maximum
• Examples of your work, preferably via URLs to published pieces
• Details of your social media profiles (Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc.)
• Evidence of the independence and resilience necessary to embrace living and working overseas